Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Beginning

Once upon a time there was a twenty-two year old college graduate who had no idea what to do with her life(well, she still doesn't know what to do with her life but that is besides the point). She graduated, had no job, had no serious romantic interests and had no desire to commit to anything in any way. However, broke and desperate for something to do on a Wednesday afternoon, she saw an advertisement for egg donation. After doing a little bit of research, she committed herself enough to make a profile and go to a meeting about it. Mostly the girl did it out of boredom and curiosity and because she wanted the money to go on an awesome vacation.




Two years later, I get a call from a Case Manager telling me I have been matched. Holy balls. After I filled out the donor profile, I pretty much forgot it existed. It's only been a couple of weeks but I am already a little overwhelmed by how easy this entire process actually is for me to do. I get to fly across the country and have a short little vacation while they harvest my eggos out of me and pass it over to someone who is willing to go to the ends of the earth and dig deep into their bank account to create a child.

I created a donor profile by letting the intended parents know my likes/dislikes, my family medical history and by posting some adorable pictures of myself. Someone saw me and thought I looked enough like them to create one good looking bambino that could pass as their own. 

I  feel no connection to my eggs. I mostly just want them to go away every month without incident. They terrify me a little bit. Parenthood is one of the scariest things anyone is willing or forced to get themselves into. It doesn't really freak me out that some guy I've never met will have his sperm injected into my eggs and possibly create a little human being with toes and teeny tiny fingers. Once the eggs leave my body, they belong to someone else, and I'm happy to help out.

So it begins. I'll update as my experience progresses. I'll tell you about the psych exam and the legal consult over the next couple days. Let me know if you have any questions.

2 comments:

  1. wow Natalie. I think this is a wonderful, selfless thing and I applaud you on doing it. Can't wait to hear more about it, you are my hero :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is amazing. I'm so happy you're creating a blog about this. You are making some couple so extremely happy....such a wonderful thing to do. thanks for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete